CEPN (Community Education Provider Network)
“Providing career opportunities in primary care for nursing, primary care assistants, administration and reception careers.”
Coventry & Rugby GP Alliance is a new federation that continues to develop and grow whose aim is to protect and improve the capability of local primary care. The organisation has recognised that central to this is to be a learning organisation that fosters the development of a highly skilled primary care workforce.
Our CEPN provides a training structure within primary care that is able to deliver a complete career pathway from the end of schooling, capable of meeting the career aspirations of primary care trainees.
Our goal is to improve the sustainability of primary care by promotion of a new and improved balance to the workforce. The CRGPA is hugely supportive of the role that nurses play in improving primary care service. We are motivated to see more nurses in primary care with better careers, enjoying their work with primary care and directly participating in and steering new models of care across Coventry and Rugby.
In year one we have developed a work programme detailed below:
- Identify nursing skills gaps
- Facilitate training and education for student nurses
- Development network for Health Care Assistants
- Instil confidence to new practice nurses
- Increase skill base of existing practice nurses
- Provision of a Nurse bank
- Support Fundamentals course by providing Primary Care Nurses to deliver Imms & Vaccs and Cytology training.
Longer Term (Years 2 & 3)
During years two and three we will build on year one to:
- Develop models of care that enable the primary care workforce to expand
- Increase the workforce of GPs, pharmacists and paramedics
- Support programme to encourage a return to practice.
Examples and key achievements
Example of good practice: Imms & Vaccs and Cytology
Training up our own local nurses to provide Imms & Vaccs and Cytology updates allows us to:
- Monitor the quality of the update
- Put a more local slant on the training
- Work with the local labs and the Area Team
- Monitor significant events and include them in the update using them as a learning tool.
Key Achievements to Date
- Increased the number of reception and HCA apprentices in Primary Care
- Provided the Care Certificate and Career Pathway for HCA
- Increased the number of mentors in Primary Care in order to have student nurses and increase workforce.